One statement – many ideas.
Every company comprises of two fundamental ideas – its mission and its vision. While the mission statement explains the “what” and “who” of a company, the vision statement is a more abstract concept that tries to encompass the values and objectives of an organisation.
Here are some reasons why a good vision statement is essential for any organisation.
- Inspiring others: The vision statement of a company has to be awe-inspiring and meaningful. It motivates employees to work better and helps them see themselves as part of a larger endeavour that will enrich their lives.
- Creating lasting connections:Customer loyalty, business partnerships, and employee satisfaction are premised on shared values with an organisation. It’s through the vision statement that these values are defined and understood, which in turn strengthens these relationships and makes them last.
- A decision making tool: As mentioned above, a vision statement expresses the core values of the organisation. Thus, it provides much needed guidance and keeps everyone focused on the bigger picture. Managers and employees stay true to the vision statement when aligning their efforts and making decisions on a project.
- Long term success: Since a vision statement outlines the larger objectives of an organisation, it also becomes a crucial part of determining its success in the long run. The goals defined by the vision statement have to be ambitious, but also realistic, in order to truly be effective.
- Sets you apart: Every organisation has a unique vision statement that sets it apart from its competitors. A good vision statement is never generic, and must be a distinctive characteristic of an organisation.
A company’s vision statement has to be designed keeping the above factors in mind. But writing a good vision statement can be a challenging process.It needs to convey many ideas while also being short and succinct. It should show a picture of the future your organisation envisions, as well as how it plans to get there.The vision statement is invoked and revisited on a regular basis in order to display the organisation’s dedication and responsibility to employees as well as consumers.
"Empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more." - the vision statement of Microsoft – conveys its message for the future in a manner that is honest and easy to understand. Vision statements of the most successful organisations exhibit exactly that – simplicity, commitment to values, and an inspiring perception of the future.